Applying the Insulation Coat
- Mix up some water and cob into a sloppy paste.
- Dip and roll large handfuls of straw into the mix until the straw is well covered, but is still mostly straw.
- Place the coated straw onto the oven without compacting it too much. Start at the bottom and work your way up the oven.
- If your oven is overhanging the base slightly, stop the insulation coat from sliding down by inserting some sticks into the oven at the bottom of the oven to give the insulation coat something to rest on.
- Apply light clay straw slip as an insulation layer over the inner core.
< Prev- Building the ChimneyNext - Optional Final Coat and Decoration >
- If you are looking to do something creative with your oven, this layer can also be used to start to build out the required sculptural elements of the finished design. The layer wants to be kept light and fluffy.